Answering Member Questions – 2023 April 06
Mixing Light Contributors Kali Bateman, Zeb Chadfield, and Peder Morgenthaler join host and CEO Patrick Inhofer in leading a Mixing Light Office Hours discussion. Today’s discussion includes:
- Our newest Mixing Light Contributor, Kali Bateman, tells us a little about herself
- The Contributor panel shares what they’ve learned new, recently
- How to set up color management for a short film – including the current recommended settings (as opposed to what Dolby recommends in their online training)
- Zeb’s recommended custom color management settings for HDR and Dolby Vision color grading
- How to set Timeline Working Luminance if you’re starting in SDR and moving to HDR?
- What are the preferred Input DRT and Output DRT settings?
- Which first: HDR grade or SDR grade?
- Understanding the ‘Rec. 709 (Scene)’ and ACES ‘SRGB Texture’ Input Color Spaces
- How to set up a color pipeline using the ARRI LogC to Rec709 LUT?
- Why can’t one of our members get a good-looking image on the projector after grading for Rec709?
- What about changing up the color pipeline in the middle of an ongoing series?
- Why do colorists frequently prefer to re-create LUTs handed to them by the cinematographer
Mentioned in this Insight
- How to include DCTLs in a LUT – The YouTube video mentioned by Kali, created by Mixing Light member Kaur Hendrikson
- The Art Of Manliness Podcast – The podcast mentioned by Patrick, who couldn’t find the exact episode he was talking about.
- Wisecoco 14 Inch 3840×1100 4K Stretched Bar Touchscreen Potable Monitor – The screen Peder uses for his Omniscope setup.
- Using Resolve’s Curves To Deconstruct A Look – This Insight was mentioned, showing how to trace a LUT using curves, “Contributor Josh Petok shows a straightforward but very effective way to use Resolve’s curves to deconstruct a look.”