Answering Member Questions – 2023 April 06
Mixing Light Contributors Kali Bateman, Zeb Chadfield, and Peder Morgenthaler join host and CEO Patrick Inhofer in leading a Mixing Light Office Hours discussion. Today’s discussion includes:
- Our newest Mixing Light Contributor, Kali Bateman, tells us a little about herself
- The Contributor panel shares what they’ve learned new, recently
- How to set up color management for a short film – including the current recommended settings (as opposed to what Dolby recommends in their online training)
- Zeb’s recommended custom color management settings for HDR and Dolby Vision color grading
- How to set Timeline Working Luminance if you’re starting in SDR and moving to HDR?
- What are the preferred Input DRT and Output DRT settings?
- Which first: HDR grade or SDR grade?
- Understanding the ‘Rec. 709 (Scene)’ and ACES ‘SRGB Texture’ Input Color Spaces
- How to set up a color pipeline using the ARRI LogC to Rec709 LUT?
- Why can’t one of our members get a good-looking image on the projector after grading for Rec709?
- What about changing up the color pipeline in the middle of an ongoing series?
- Why do colorists frequently prefer to re-create LUTs handed to them by the cinematographer
Mentioned in this Insight
- How to include DCTLs in a LUT – The YouTube video mentioned by Kali, created by Mixing Light member Kaur Hendrikson
- The Art Of Manliness Podcast – The podcast mentioned by Patrick, who couldn’t find the exact episode he was talking about.
- Wisecoco 14 Inch 3840×1100 4K Stretched Bar Touchscreen Potable Monitor – The screen Peder uses for his Omniscope setup.
- Using Resolve’s Curves To Deconstruct A Look – This Insight was mentioned, showing how to trace a LUT using curves, “Contributor Josh Petok shows a straightforward but very effective way to use Resolve’s curves to deconstruct a look.”
Sorry... the rest of this content is for members only. You'll need to login or Join Now to continue (we hope you do!).
Need more information about our memberships? Click to learn more.Membership options
Homepage › Forums › Office Hours LIVE! LUTs, Color Management, HDR, and Cinema Workflows
This is the discussion thread for the Insight: Office Hours LIVE! LUTs, Color Management, HDR, and Cinema Workflows
Log in to reply.