The Colorist Podcast is an interview series produced & recorded by Mixing Light contributor Josh Petok. MixingLight.com is a paid sponsor of the Colorist Podcast & we only republish (aggregate) the content here for our members to enjoy.
On this episode of the Colorist Podcast, I continue the conversation with Director, Writer, and Colorist, Alexis Van Hurkman.
In the last episode, I talked with Alexis about how he got his start in post, his experience at Apple, and starting his own boutique grading facility. There was so much great conversation in the podcast that I needed to break it into two separate shows.
In this episode, we dive deeper into the tech side of grading. In the last five years, there’s been dramatic changes in color technology. High Dynamic Range (HDR) is making it’s way into the mainstream, and color managed workflows are improving with each day. And with that “bigger box of crayons,” we have more options when creating looks. The creative and the technical elements in grading are closely linked.
In part two, we discuss:
- The “Color Correction Look Book” and how to create subtle grade
- When to push a look further than your comfort level
- Grading HDR and the “hierarchy of highlights”
- Will HDR change the way that colorists grade
- Using ACES, Resolve Color Management, Truelight and other color management workflows
- The Colorist Society and how it will benefit the community in the future
Enjoy The Podcast!