The Colorist Podcast is an interview series produced & recorded by Mixing Light contributor Josh Petok. MixingLight.com is a paid sponsor of the Colorist Podcast & we only republish (aggregate) the content here for our members to enjoy.
Patrick is best known for his color work on episodic TV shows like NCIS: Los Angeles, UNreal, Weeds, and Everybody Hates Chris. He’s worked on programs that air on the major networks, like CBS, NBC, and FOX, as well as the pay networks HBO and Showtime. In addition to working in TV, he’s also completed spots for Oakley, DC Shoes, and Fox Racing.
Patrick built his foundation in photography, studying at the Brooks Institute of Photography. Combining this background with an internship at Digital Film Tree, set him in the direction of becoming a colorist. Moving up within the company gave him the opportunity to holistically understand the file-based workflow and the ways that it could be fast and flexible.
In this podcast, we talk about:
- How his background in photography served him as a colorist
- Challenges of working on a big budget TV shows
- The effect of streaming networks like Netflix and Hulu on television colorists
- Coloring for short form versus long form
- Collaborating with DPs and show-runners via remote sessions
- New technologies like 4K and HDR in television color
- ACES and other color-managed workflows
- Coloring for different TV networks
Enjoy the podcast!