Part 5: Color Grading Commercial #2
In this Insight we are going to take a look at the grade on commercial two out of 10. It’s probably the one shot the best and required the least amount of work.
In the video below I show my real-time approach to grading the commercial.
These are a great chance to experiment with how the behind the curtain series progresses and grows.
The footage is good enough to give it a nice look, it has a couple of minor issues that I fix and it’s also not too long so I can do it all in real time.
A breakdown of the ideas and processes I cover in the video below :
- Establishing the time of day based on the title of the edit
- Going for a cooler white to keep it fresh
- Managing highlights
- Going bright but keeping the filmic feel
- Dropping saturation to keep it expensive feeling
- Gentle defocus to lead the eye