Office Hours – July 14, 2022
Mixing Light Contributors R. Neil Haugen, Peder Morgenthaler, and Zeb Chadfield join host Patrick Inhofer in a Mixing Light Office hours discussion with special guest Isaac Terronez. Isaac is the U.S. Workflow Architect for Hedge.video.
Today’s discussion included:
- What are Postlab and Postlab drive?
- How is Lucid Link related to the Postlab products?
- Using PostLab with the Premiere Pro Teams workflow
- How to set up FCP libraries for PostLab sharing and file locking
- A quick comment about EditReady
- A tip from Patrick on enabling a not-obvious feature on Resolve’s built-in scopes
Table Of Contents
(bold items are member questions)
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:00 Lightening Round Introduction
- 01:18 Neil – Multicam tip
- 02:34 Peder – Just started working with a remote team using Lucid Link
- 03:36 Rich – Joins us momentarily to talk about starting to use ‘virtual drives’ for sending dailies to remote collaborators, with good experience
- 04:06 Zeb – How his facility used virtual drives to bypass a server outage in their local area network, without missing a beat
- 05:30 Patrick – Shows a quick DaVinci Resolve tip that allows the qualifier cursor to show the pixels you’re selecting on Resolve’s internal scopes
- 06:15 Isaac – New details he’s learned about the bass line from the Michael Jackson song, “Billy Jean”
- 09:09 Introduction to Isaac and the discussion on Hedge, Postlab, and Postlab Drive
- 13:07 What is the problem that Postlab Drive is solving? And how is it related to Lucid Link (and what is Lucid Link)?
- 16:37 Neil: His experience with Lucid Link’s upper tier service and the responsiveness of the file sharing
- 18:28 Peder: Important bandwidth considerations when setting up a project for sharing media files by taking into account the slowest internet connection on the team
- 19:13 Neil: Points out the unique file-locking capabilities of Postlab, beyond what Lucid Link offers
- 19:48 Zeb: How the Lucid Link technology works far better than any seasoned post-production professional will reasonably expect
- 22:54 Patrick: Lucid Link has two tiers. What is Postlab Drive integrating and is it possible it use their other tiers of service for Postlab Drive?
- 24:47 Peder: What’s the ‘extra sauce’ that Postlab is adding to their Lucid Link integration?
- 25:03 Isaac: Postlab Drive as a file sharing service
- 27:20 MASV’s integration with Postlab Drive
- 31:45 Peder: The pricing model for Postlab Drive, Lucid Link, and the challenges with ‘egress’ costs
- 34:56 Zeb: Shares his observation about caching issues that force you to re-download source material
- 35:44 What is Postlab and how is it different than Postlab Drive?
- 39:58 Zeb & Isaac: Avid Bin Locking using Postlab
- 42:11 Neil: His experience using Premiere Pro’s team and collaborative workflows using a BYO (build your own) S3 bucket
- 45:25 Isaac: The experience of Hedge’s clients using Premiere’s Teams workflow with Postlab; plus, additional features for assigning tasks, comments, keeping an activity log, and saving templates for new projects.
- 47:41 Arthur (video question): When using FCP and the Color Finale plugin, are there any limitations we should be concerned about if we’re using Postlab?
- 48:59 Isaac: How to use FCP with Postlab for the smoothest remote collaboration experience and managing plug-ins without breaking license agreements.
- 52:48 Zeb: Best practices for distributing installers to ensure everyone on the remote team is using the same version of the software, fonts, etc.
- 53:21 Isaac: Postlab with DaVinci Resolve workflows, including using Disk-based databases or integrating Blackmagic Cloud with PostLab Drive
- 54:53 Patrick: Is Postlab and Postlab Drive cross-platform?
- 56:11 Patrick: Understanding Hedge’s latest product acquisition, EditReady and how it integrates into the workflows we’ve been discussing
- 57:48 Conclusion and Goodbye
Mentioned in this Insight
- Postlab Drive – Product page
- Postlab for FCP, Premiere, Avid – Product page
- Postlab for Media Composer – Product page
- Lucid Link – Technology overview page
- MASV.io – Homepage
- PostLab Drive, Lucid Link, or Both? – The Hedge.video blog post mentioned by Isaac that helps us understand the differences between these related products.
- Pinning & Avid Remote Locking for PostLab Drive – A Hedge.video blog post that goes into ‘pinning’, to download the full contents of a drive, locally; plus, explaining Avid bin locking.
R Neil Haugen
October 15, 2022
Color Grading Docs, HDR Trims, NVMe Disks for Cache, and more!
September 28, 2022
How To Professionally Work Between Multiple Editing Platforms
August 19, 2022
The Care And Feeding Of A Post Production YouTube Channel
August 5, 2022
Remote Media Sharing and Collaboration – Featuring Hedge’s Postlab
July 18, 2022
How do colorists extend the life of old computers? Becoming a Mixing Light Contributor?
June 17, 2022
Charting Gamma Curves, Revisiting REC-709a, and Premiere Pro 2022 Color Management
June 9, 2022
Streaming Dolby Vision, REC-709a, And Consumer OLED Displays
May 25, 2022
Talking Professional Reference Displays with Bram Desmet of Flanders Scientific
May 7, 2022
How Do You Succeed Running A Color Grading Business?
April 22, 2022
Evaluating Skin Tones, Working With Drone Footage, Grading On Laptops
March 30, 2022
Good Ideas? The HDR Palette One Year Later & Selling Your Project Files
March 16, 2022
NAS, Security, Archival Footage, and HDR – An Office Hours Discussion
January 12, 2022
Office Hours Live Stream – Color Management (and much more)