The Colorist Podcast is an interview series produced & recorded by Mixing Light contributor Josh Petok. MixingLight.com is a paid sponsor of the Colorist Podcast & we only republish (aggregate) the content here for our members to enjoy.
Colorist Podcast Episode 003
In this episode of the Colorist Podcast, I talk with Gray Marshall, Associate Finishing Artist at Technicolor in Los Angeles.At Technicolor, Gray has worked on the films Bridge of Spies, The Revenant, Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man, and many others.
But before making his way into color, Gray worked in many other parts of the industry.
His roots were in the camera department of Star Trek: The Next Generation and later went on to being a VFX supervisor and owning his own company, Gray Matter Post. Gray is probably best known for epic VFX shots like the building collapse at the end of Fight Club.
Working in all these different departments has given him a unique perspective on the industry.
Some of the topics we cover:
- When VFX should be done by a colorist
- Working in Lustre and why colorists don’t use a panel with it
- Should grading be completed before or after a visual effects shot
- Stereoscopic challenges in grading
- Comparing tools in color and VFX
- The current state of ACES
- The future of high-end color grading, VR, and HDR
Here is the podcast. Feel free to use the comments below & enjoy.