Capturing On-Set Metadata
(And Delivering It To Postproduction)
In Part 1 of this two-part look at essential DIT software, DIT Rich Roddman C.S.I shared his core tools for downloading footage off cameras (and making several multiple backups… simultaneously). Those tools allow him to deliver Reports to clients about every clip he offloaded (even if they call 3 months later). In this Insight, Rich shifts gears to another part of the DIT’s job, metadata.
Handling metadata, checking File Integrity & Creating Transcodes
- Pomfort Silverstack – Metadata, download, color grade, oh my!
- VLC Media Player – A swiss-army-knife of media players. It plays practically every codec you might encounter.
- Switch – Another versitile media player that prominently displays embedded timecode. It comes in Free and Pro versions.
- Scratch Play – It’s free. It plays just about everything. And it has that impressive Scratch UI.
- Premiere Pro CC – If you’ve got it, then it’s a good tool for checking the integrity of your images.
- EditReady – This app is great to have in your data download kit for those days clients suddenly need to do transcoding, too.
Other apps mentioned in this Insight