The Colorist Podcast is an interview series produced & recorded by Mixing Light contributor Josh Petok. MixingLight.com is a paid sponsor of the Colorist Podcast & we only republish (aggregate) the content here for our members to enjoy.
Colorist Podcast Episode 011
On this episode of the colorist podcast, we’re trying something a little different. We take a break from talking with a colorist to focus on something quite a bit more technical. Dave Abrams, monitor calibrator and owner of Avical, joins me on this episode. It’s about to get seriously geeky, and in the best possible way 🙂
Dave has been calibrating monitors for over seventeen years. He’s been through the transitions from SD to HD, tape and film to file based, and now 4K and HDR. Post facilities from all over the world rely on his expertise and knowledge of monitors to get the most consistent and accurate monitoring possible. High-end home theater owners also use his services to get great looking images at home. And seeing both sides of each situation gives him a great perspective on the industry as a whole.
On this podcast, we talk about:
- How HDR is changing the approach to calibration
- The differences between calibrating by the numbers and when to go with your instincts
- The HP Dreamcolor, Eizo, and other computer monitors for color critical evaluation
- Room lighting considerations when setting up a grading room
- Comparing OLED, plasma, LCD monitors
- Considerations for large size client monitors used in combination with hero monitors
- Projects that are destined for web distribution and how to monitor for them
- Where the future is going for monitoring and what they still are lacking
Homepage › Forums › Colorist Podcast Episode 011: Dave Abrams
This is the discussion thread for the Insight: Colorist Podcast Episode 011: Dave Abrams
Log in to reply.