The Colorist Podcast is an interview series produced & recorded by Mixing Light contributor Josh Petok. MixingLight.com is a paid sponsor of the Colorist Podcast & we only republish (aggregate) the content here for our members to enjoy.
Senior Colorist Bob Festa joins me on this episode of the Colorist Podcast.
Bob Festa has colored some of the most iconic music videos and national commercials. Companies like Coca-Cola, Levi’s, American Express, McDonalds, and IBM come back to his suite again and again. In a career that spans over 30 years, he has completed over 20,000 spots.
He continues to color today, working on the shows “The Runaways” and “The Last Ship.” He is the recipient of daVinci’s “Master Colorist Award” and “Commercial Colorist of the Year.”
Bob has held positions as a Senior Colorist at Company 3, R!OT Santa Monica, Hollywood Digital, and Encore. And he also ran his own facility, New Hat. He’s worked with daVinci systems since it’s start, and even helped drive some of the features we use today.
Bob continues to be a mentor to aspiring colorists. He shares his skills, experience, and knowledge to the next generation of artists.
In this podcast, we talk about:
- How to avoid burnout and have a long career as a colorist
- Comparing long and short form grading
- The inspiration of film and why some colorists still use printer points
- The most abused technique in color grading
- The Festa “Grade once – show many” concept
- New technologies like HDR and how colorists adapt to them
- Coming up with a lot of ideas in a high-pressure environment
- Colorist’s role in new business development
- How the declining price of color systems affect colorists today
- Collaborating with Directors and DPs
Enjoy The Podcast!